I would describe this past week as somewhat intense. I accompanied a home-based care worker to visit some of her patients. We visited four homes, 3 houses and one shack. In this heat I don’t know how people survive in their shacks. The metal roof just increases the temperature. In all cases there was a common thread between these people beyond their HIV+ status. All of them have felt it necessary to keep their status a secret. They have not disclosed to their partners, extended family, or community. I was surprised in a community where AIDS is talked about so frequently that the community remains unsafe to disclose. Perhaps I was naïve. This illness is so frightening and horrible. People who are diagnosed need the support of those around them as they journey through this time. The worker I accompanied is my age and she lives in a shack with her younger sister who is 17, while her Mother lives in another town and is a domestic worker. Her Father lives in another town as well. This young lady wants to pursue a social work degree, and watching her has convinced me she should aim for this goal. Finances remain a huge barrier.
Then that night I met with some white South Africans who wanted to know about Canada as they are planning to immigrate. After this meeting I felt so sad. Here were people who are in a sense fleeing their country because of their perception of a high crime rate and reverse oppression that the young white sons cannot find work here. I tried my best to challenge their reasons for leaving South Africa. My entire sense of this encounter was permeated with racism.
I hope you enjoy the photos. They are of various children that I have encountered and some of the staff people from World Vision in Johannesburg. The candle lighting ceremony was part of a closing program in honour of people affected and infected by AIDS. You will also see the house where I am residing and the fabulous family I stay with.
I have fascinating conversations with young people about the tradition of Lebola. This is the tradition of a woman’s family setting a cost for a man to marry the woman. The man’s Uncle’s must meet with the woman’s family and negotiate the Lebola. I asked the young women if they thought this tradition would eventually change. Some thought yes others no. The young men have indicated that Lebola is a way to honour the family and say thankyou for their daughter. There have been many discussions about whether there is a perception that the man “owns” the woman. This is not to be the intent however there have been occasions where this practice becomes abused and manipulated. So many young couple delay marriage until their finances are in order to pay Lebola.
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We enjoyed your message again. It is very interesting.The pictures are great.
If only we could send you some of our cold weather.
Thinking of you often.
Beatrice
Hey Susie--good to read about your adventures. It sounds like you are being stretched and challenged in a variety of ways. I am grateful that you are living with a wonderful family as you process all your experiences.
Love to you,
Paula
Post a Comment