Thursday, February 22, 2007

Umbrellas, Chickens, Guns, and Cows

The title aptly describes this week. I joined the Community workers to sign up children to be sponsored. We travelled dirt roads out to small villages that were about 30 – 40 minutes from the closest town. This is where the cow comes in. We were driving and then quickly slammed the brakes to avoid hitting a cow crossing the road. They just roam freely while a herder keeps track of there whereabouts. The villages if they are lucky have a health clinic, a school, a pre-school and a shop. Then there are shacks and houses often made with straw and cow dung.

We stopped at a pre-school, referred to as a crèche, where there were 19 little ones between the ages of 3 and 5. I have never witnessed such well behaved children. We arrived during their lunch, 4 sat at a table and it was quiet. The children waited patiently for their food and then each one walked their empty bowl to the kitchen. There was no shouting, pushing, or shoving. One little boy lost both his Mother and Father and now lives with his grandparents. I have decided to see if I can sponsor him directly. No one would say why his parents have died. His name is Machlomolo, which directly translated means disaster. He apparently is quite naughty, the type of kiddos that I like.

This week we had a financial meeting to discuss budget planning for the US grant that World Vision received. We spent about 20 minutes talking about chickens. Do we buy children broiler chickens or laying chickens? How do we monitor chickens if the animals are slaughtered? How do we assist to keep the chickens alive? Who will build the shelters? Should we expect orphaned children to look after chickens? By the end of this discussion we were laughing about what grant money actually looks like when it is implemented on the ground and how much time was spent talking about chickens. It reminded me of financial discussions at work when we talk about spending money on toiletries, or clothing, or sports equipment. This is just different applications to specific money distribution. Next we discussed whether we should distribute hats, mugs or umbrellas to volunteers. We decided on the umbrellas. (Umbrellas are used to protect against the strong sun rays.)

A startling experience occurred on Friday night. I went to an outdoor concert with Estelle and her friends. Sitting in front of us was a white couple with 3 young children. Then I noticed the man had a gun in holster at his waist. Exposed for all to see. I was stunned. I really wanted to ask him why he was wearing a gun. In retrospect I should have. I keep having these ahah moments that remind me that I am not in Canada anymore.

Last night Estelle and I went to see the movie, Catch a Fire. It played in Canada sometime in November but was not widely distributed. This is a movie set in South Africa and is not for the faint hearted viewer. We walked in the theatre and it was empty. We were later joined by a number of black people and two young white women. Estelle leaned over to me and predicted that these women would leave the theatre at some point during the movie. Within 10 minutes, they got up, left with their popcorn and did not return. Watching this behaviour made a tremendous impact on me in conjunction with the movie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

Wow, I don't even know how to respond. Life certainly has changed for you in less than 2 months! Thanks for keeping us updated and for making us realize just how blessed we are. Sounds like you have had some really wonderful and insightful adventures already!
Much love and prayers,
Sonja

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
I enjoyed yourletter. Maybe some of your farming experience will be useful. Cows and Chickens.
Thinking of you, Beatrice

Anonymous said...

Personally i'd go with the broiler chicken. Nothing better than a nice piece of chicken. Then i would have also choosen the mug for volunteers, i mean, come on, chicken noodle soup in a mug, nothing better than that! Just my opinion.

mike(the unknown half of julie)

Anonymous said...

Susan,

It so great to hear from you and all the hard work that is being done by many people like you. It is amazing to be so far away and to have the opportunity to learn and to share experiences with people that has experienced life from a completely different perspective.

Please keep in touch. stay safe and take a lot of pictures.

Thanks for sharing with us about this unique experience.

Cecilia Ayala

P.S. We miss you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Susie--thanks for your postings. I am writing from the Shull house in Lancaster. Good times hanging with the kidos! Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner--I had a terrible cold and was in bed for a week. I will be back in IN by Monday and will try to find a time to call you when I return.
I hope you are doing well. Keep the blog entries coming!
Love ya,
Paula