I want to walk you through the pictures I posted yesterday. You will see a photo titled Home Based Caregivers. These are the 20 workers who are associated with World Vision but are contracted with the department of Health. Most of these people are between 25 and 40 years of age. They have been doing this incredible work for about 3 – 5 years. Each one is completely dedicated to their patients that they visit 2-3 times a week. I have joined several of them on their home visits. The patients light up when their worker comes in. One of the prevailing issues is poverty and lack of sufficient and nutritional food. How do you take medication on an empty stomach. I was speaking with one worker recently encouraging him to look into paramedic training. After the weekend he came to me and said he travelled to Bloemfontein on Monday and picked up information. Fabulous.
Also in the middle with an orange T is Hlubi. She is AIDS coordinator. She is a trained nurse and a force to be reckoned with. Before coming to World Vision she worked for hospice and has been celebrated and nominated for the Women of the Year award. I have learned so much from Hlubi about AIDS and how to mobilize the community. Her workers admire and adore her as does the community.
You will also a photo of a beautiful little girl. One of the development workers has been supporting this little one, her older sister and her Uncle. The Uncle has taken over the complete care of his two nieces after the Mother died about 2 years ago. The Father also passed away. He has faced an incredible administrative battle in order to obtain a foster care or orphans grant to raise these little ones. He has not been employed for quite a while because he is with the girls full time. The development worker has been assisting him in navigating the systems to deal with some of the paperwork requirements. When I walked into their home on the fridge was a sticker of Piglet. Well…. I then remembered I have been carrying a little Piglet figurine in my bag. How perfect of a gift to give. You will see Piglet in her hands. She is one of the little ones I could easily fall in love with.
Ahh then the volleyball boys. One day we were visiting a school to see the sponsored children. They were receiving mail and dental products. During the wait the boys started playing with a volleyball in the yard. I could not just sit there so I joined them. What fun. I think they were surprised by a white woman playing with them. I now know the word for white person is “Le kgowa” The “kg” is pronounced like a German “CH” When I walk from the bus stop to the office the little children all yell “Le Kgowa, we love you” At least I know when I am talked about now.
My translator and bus trainer. Well what would I do without these two. Teboho on the left has been translating for me during the workshops I have led. We have delivered a stress management workshop and one on supporting Orphans on loss and grief for four separate days. Translating is quite a talent because sometimes the Sotho words are not the same or there is no such word in their language. And the speed of thinking is quick. Teboho is a 3rd year law student and also is developing a small business with some community people making jewelry. They make beautiful things. Then on the right is Tshepo – my brother. Tshepo has guided me in navigating the bus system and many other systems in the community. He graduated with a social services 4 year degree. He says he wants to study in Canada in project management of some kind. He has made me feel welcome in Khauhelo since the very first day.
Ahh – long life milk. Yes apparently in the processing and packaging process they have developed long life milk. The product is shelved and it is not refrigerated until it is opened. Part of me still doesn’t trust this but I have had no problems so far.
Then the choir and Ntombi’s family. Ntombi is a development worker and she invited me to her home and to her choir’s concert. It was a joy to hear two choirs sing. This is pure joy and no chance of boredom. I can honestly say this as they began singing at 1 pm and did not stop until 6 pm. Each choir sang 6 songs per round and each sang 6 sessions. Complete with choreography and a change of costume. I stayed with Ntombi’s family on Sunday night. This was wonderful – they were so generous and welcomed me into their family. Ntombi’s Father is very traditional. If Ntombi and I had pants on we had to wear a towel around our waist and wear this until we went through the gate. Her Father is about 74 years old and quite spry. Ntombi’s Mother spoiled me with her wonderful cooking and she sent some toasted and buttered bread with me to work for tea time. Ntombi was absolutely thrilled that I came. She wasn’t quite sure I would follow through.
I have been trying to post two other photos. Recently the staff at World Vision attended a staff retreat. And you will see the dancing women. They tried to show me some moves – but I’m not sure my stiff white body can do some of the things they can. They enjoyed laughing at me. There is also group staff photo which includes almost every staff person. We were also celebrating 3 birthdays for the month of March and February. They were given beautiful warm blankets.
So life continues to go very well. I am so well looked after both in the Heideman home and in Botshabelo. Estelle and her family have completely made me feel welcomed. They have extended an invitation to have me return to stay with them from July – September. I also learned that in Botshabelo I am watched all the time. Poppy, a development worker, informed me that every morning her husband watches out for me. He sees me get off the bus and then calls the office to let them know I am on the way. He also calls if I don’t arrive on the bus to make sure everything is fine. I was completely touched to hear about this arrangement. I am surrounded by incredibly generous and caring people and I am grateful.
Hope you are all well. I always enjoy your comments.
Monday, April 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hi Sue,
What a surprize to find this long interesting letter. It is good to hear you are so well looked after.
Im sure you are very special to all the people.
Spring is coming and most of the snow has melted.
Do have a good week.
Thinking of you, Beatrice
Hi Sue,
Thank you for the very informative note about your world in South Africa. Between the pictures and your information one has an idea of your work and life with the locals.
Glad to hear that you are being so well cared for and that people in the community are looking after you. It is so wonderful to feel such care when you are so far away from your home community.
With thoughts and prayers,
Leonora
Hey Sue! It's great to read up on what you are seeing and experiencing in Africa. I was sitting with your parents in church Good Friday (great to sing with another "alto" singer). Your mom gave me your web site address. I can't wait to read up on you again. Happy Easter!!
Love ya,
Ang W.
Hi Susie Q: How you doin? Just thought would write ya a few words.
Hope all is well - but I must say - you do look a wee bit pale - over there. I am sure you will have a million things to tell everyone when you return home. Do take care and God Bless: Gloria & Bill
Hi Sue,
Sorry it's been so long. I love hearing about all the wonderful people you are meeting. The pictures are beautiful. Life is good at home. Take care and miss you.
Sonja
Hi Sue
I've read your blogs over the months - fascinating and intense times, eh? Many significant relationships and journeys.
Where are you currently? If you have any updates or thoughts to share with Erb Street, let me know because I can post stuff on the bulletin board or in the bulletin.
Blessings to you for health and strength and daily hope. Our prayers are with you.
Matthew B-D
Hey Sue! I spoke with your mom & dad @ church this morning and you were wondering about me. I aplogize that I haven't e-mailed you for awhile.
Everything is going great with my health. It's been 1-year last week that I had my 2nd brain surgery. Everything is going well! I was told last year that the brain has a very slow healing process.....no kidding! I received a great report from my Neurologist, who I won't need to see until "January 2008" WOW!!! Since last year, I've seen my neurologist every month, then everyother month, then every 4-months now....6-months. WOW!!!!! That feels so great for me. I'm feeling very independant.
This morning your dad and I were reminicsing about last year. He was sitting on his porch on Wettlaufer St. when I was visiting Uncle Jack & Aunt Claudie across the street. When I saw your dad I "slowly" walked over to him and we hugged eachother and we both cried, since we haven't seen eachother for so long after our surgeries. It was great that we both remembered our first visit.
Love Ya, Ang W.
Post a Comment